Today, the decision to “renovate or build new” for public school entities is fraught with complexities and uncertainties. Many school districts around the country are dealing with poorly performing buildings due to age and deferred maintenance. Additionally, technology has changed so much that most educators feel that students learning in old buildings are at a disadvantage: old buildings are often unhealthy, they are not connected well enough to take advantage of high-tech tools and most are not set up properly to support modern educational programming. Lastly, school districts are understandably resistant to raise taxes to support construction of any kind. These complexities and uncertainties often result in decision paralysis.
Our approach to supporting K-12 clients with building decisions, as Owner’s Performance Advocates, uses technology to simulate building performance before a district invests one dollar in renovation or new construction. Using evidence-based tools, districts can make and defend their recommendations to stakeholders and taxpayer with full transparency.
AUROS Group, Owner’s Performance Advocates
• Sets performance goals and aligns project team based on owner’s expectations of performance in operation.
• Leverages technology, throughout the project, to assess all decisions through the lenses of building performance, first costs and long-term operating costs.
• Identifies existing benchmark data for building, using Energy Star Portfolio Manager metrics, existing utility bills, metered information and temporary indoor air quality sensors.
Digital Twinning & Whole-Building Performance Simulations (Multiple Phases)
• Develops baseline model for existing and/or new building. Baselines are used to determine theoretical optimum potential performance of early designs. Simulations assess various strategies to achieve building performance goals, meet construction costs, reach ultra-high indoor air quality and dramatically reduce long-term operating costs.
• Models and simulations become building assets that live with the building for its life.
AUROS360 Integrated Dashboard
• Specifies the controls, meters, and sensors necessary for the real-time monitoring of energy consumption and indoor environmental quality.
• On day 1 of operations, data is collected and compared to simulated building performance to verify building design, construction, and operations, ensuring goals set by the owner’s team in planning are realized in operations.
• Monitoring-based Commissioning ensures the energy and indoor environmental goals are maintained over the life of the building.
AUROS Group Certifications: PHIUS Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC); PHI Certified Passive House Designer; International WELL Building Institute: WELL AP, WELL Faculty & WELL Community; Regenerative Ecological Social & Economic Targets, RESET Air AP; Centers for Active Design, Fitwel Ambassadors, LEED AP BD+C; International Living Future Institute, Living Future Accreditation, LFA; Green Building Initiative, Green Globes Professional.
Summary: By partnering with AUROS Group, the original Owner’s Performance Advocate, school districts have the data necessary to make and defend financial decisions and building performance.
* Ref: To Renovate or Build New—Looking Beyond the Numbers, Amy M. Yurko, AIA